Parliament of Fools

Welcome! We fools are a mish-mash of lovers of the English language. Pull up a computer chair, and imagine with us that you're sitting by the fire in a local cafe. Sip your cyber-cappucino and discuss with us your thoughts on our latest reading assignment. Hopefully we'll experience all the joy of reading together, without the cost of Starbucks.

Thursday, August 04, 2005

A Few Brief Thoughts

On the issues of what to read, etc., I have no difference of opinion from the Queen except for in the matter of comments: I like the idea of one post per book, and a litany of comments stringing therefrom. An exception could be made, though, if the book had two main themes or thoughts that didn't fit well together in discussion.

I've been asked before to name my top-5 movies, but never books. (A movie list would give an interesting perspective on what each enjoys.) I have to agree with Kristen that I'm never really satisfied with my answers, and I'd have to add that it's partly due to the fact that I think there's still more books I haven't read that might be even bigger winners.

I think I'd have to list the Lord of the Rings trilogy (I include The Hobbit in this) as numero uno, primarily because of its epic nature, but also because of Tolkien's writing style. Ben Hur might make this list if Lew Wallace had trimmed off all the commentary.

Next, I'd have to put Tom Sawyer and Treasure Island. The former is my complete childhood biography, even if half of it I daydreamed instead of actually living. The latter is just a fascinating tale.

Another fiction work I've greatly enjoyed is Dicken's Oliver Twist, although I haven't read it in years. I used to use the screen name "ThArtfulDodger".

Rounding out my top five will have to be a non-fiction work, Two Roads to Sumter, by William and Bruce Caton. As an avid history aficionado, the 40 years leading up to the Civil War is a more fascinating study than most fiction.

And that's my 2ยข. Thanks for having me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home