Parliament of Fools

Welcome! We fools are a mish-mash of lovers of the English language. Pull up a computer chair, and imagine with us that you're sitting by the fire in a local cafe. Sip your cyber-cappucino and discuss with us your thoughts on our latest reading assignment. Hopefully we'll experience all the joy of reading together, without the cost of Starbucks.

Monday, August 08, 2005

Tim's Input

So to get started we should all answer the questions asked above in your own post, and then also answer the "5 books" question.

Thanks for the thoughtful beginning to this promising blog. I'm healthy again, and my wife returns from Austria tomorrow. I've been Mr. Mom for two weeks now.

I am very flexible regarding the books we choose and how we discuss them, and all of the books already mentioned are fine with me.

I always freeze up when asked for my favorite books, so instead I'll post some of my desires or ideas:
  • Let's study a Shakespearean play, perhaps one of the six discussed in Peter Leithart's Brightest Heaven of Invention. I love Shakespeare (and most definitely do not love Midde English/Chaucer). I've been wanting to read Will in the World for some time now and almost bought it yesterday. But I know this isn't for everyone.
  • I've never read a book by Chesterton, and friends have been saying that I'm a silly goose for this reason. Orthodoxy? The Everlasting Man? I am keen on the idea of Chesterton.
  • I've never read the autobiographical Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis. I'd like to.
  • I would think that reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley together with Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman would be interesting and thought-provoking, especially for a group of Christians. Doing so ten years ago made me the provincial Luddite that I am today! ;-)
All of the titles already mentioned by the others sound good. I look forward to reading with adults!

Blessings.

Ps. If we can decide on our first text before Friday, I'll be able to take it with me for our annual week without electricity in northern Ontario! (See below.)

Uncle Pete, Aunt Esther, good books, coffee, and a lake

1 Comments:

  • At 8:59 PM, Blogger Devona said…

    Hey Tim!

    I'm glad you're still blogging. I saw the recent Lutheran Fall-out and I thought we might have lost you.

    Regarding the first text; you might be disappointed that we're reading something about 6 pages long. But I picked "The Things They Carried" from the collection of short stories by Tim O'Brien. It's great, and short.

    I thought that short short short would help us get the ball rolling. Some of us have already requested it from their libraries, and I own it, so we shouldd begin discussing later this week.

    How does that sound for you?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home