Parliament of Fools

Welcome! We fools are a mish-mash of lovers of the English language. Pull up a computer chair, and imagine with us that you're sitting by the fire in a local cafe. Sip your cyber-cappucino and discuss with us your thoughts on our latest reading assignment. Hopefully we'll experience all the joy of reading together, without the cost of Starbucks.

Friday, August 19, 2005

Nit-picking

This may be a bit of a nit-pick, but I found it jarring to the flow of the story when we suddenly broke from focusing on Jimmy Cross' obsessions and heard Kiowa's thoughts about life and death. I actually liked that part better--if I had to deal with death of friend and foe on a daily basis, I probably would be dulled to that and acutely aware of the small pleasures of existence--but it seemed out of place.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger Devona said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Blogger Devona said…

    Nit Picking is good.

    I didn't find it so out of place since I kind of read the story as the narrator using other team-members' experiences as a means to process Lavender's death. To me, it is like he's putting on the boots of his friends and seeing the situation from everyone else''s perspective, trying to see who's boots fit him.

    Perhaps it is a bit ackward though because he really focuses on Cross and Kiowa so much more than anyone else. Maybe it was for the sake of brevity, or maybe it was an oversite.

    What do you think of that?

     
  • At 4:03 AM, Blogger Queen of Carrots said…

    Yeah, I can see it working if he had shown things from a variety of perspectives--though it would have been a very different story. Instead we get 95% Cross, 5% Kiowa, and nothing from anybody else.

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Blogger Devona said…

    Maybe I've been too well trained in finding the "organic unity" of a text. I've learned how to find a reason for everything and every problem in every story I read.:)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home